Friday 24 February 2017

InDesign / Project Layout / Aidan Nolan

This indesign tutorial was very useful in terms of constructing project presentations and presenting them in the best way possible. Before this tutorial, I was always very confused when applying my project research and development to grid systems. I always over complicated the grid system and tried to apply all elements to correspond to the guides of the grid structure. Where as, today I was advised the grid system is more for creating a guideline to place elements, not a be all end all structure to place elements.

I created a grid layout of 12 columns, this is the best grid structure to use and this number is best divisible by a lot of numbers that match the dimensions of the page I am working on.  I was shown two channels of layout, web and print. Also, Aidan Nolan showed us some of his project presentations he presented in industry and how he worked to grid structures to guide his work.


A3 print document settings



Web print screen 1080px - 1920px


To determine which document set up to use, first determine how the client wants work channeled to them, whether that is print or web based. You do not want to set up a document that is A4 and present it on a computer screen. This will display huge black panels filling the rest of the space on the computer screen, potentially ruining the display of the idea you are trying to sell. Whereas, if the client wants to quickly scan through the project idea them-self, it is always handy to have a printed A4 document to physically discuss ideas.


Here I have worked to a 12 column, 8 row grid system to act as a guideline to structure elements. In this lesson, I created all of my own graphics to build up a publication, using the grid as my advantage to visually structure the elements. I created a publication built with shapes and place holder text, all in a retro colour scheme. Aidan advised me to not be distracted by the horizontal guides, at least not as much as I was doing before. This was great advice and has really helped me understand how grid systems are used.




Below, I will place a link to one of my project presentations that follows the same rules I have learnt in this tutorial. All in all, I have enjoyed learning the processes and productions that Indesign has to offer and coming out of these tutorials with Aidan Nolan I feel much more confident setting up and displaying my future presentations and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment