Saturday 18 February 2017

Self Publication 3 / Nick Deakin / Process and Production

In this tutorial, I learnt interesting ways to present physical work. What I explored creatively connects the journey between the development and the outcome. This whole concept of presenting work in a resourceful and invigorating manner was illustrated to me in a fun and methodically clear way.

First of all, I was handed an A2 piece of plain paper that I was instructed to fold in half, in half again, and then again, in some sense similar to the zine. Creating an A5 hand sized publication that opens up to reveal the final A2 poster. Its a great way to present an idea or concept.


On the front of the A5 folded publication, I stuck an A5 black and white printed photograph of myself. Creating the face to the publication, and expressing the content inside this publication. Everything inside will be based around this photograph. This was to give us the insight in terms of how to present a design or idea, by presenting the focal point as the face of the A5 folded publication.

On the reverse side of the A5 fold, I drew my the contours of my face with black fine liner. The idea was to recreate that of my face in the photograph and show different processes to the outcome. This conveys the ideas of how I would present ideas and development that build up to the main poster.


Next, I pressed my face against the photocopier scanner and printed the scan to stick in my publication. I unfolded/opened the A5 part and creating an A4 surface that I stuck the A4 scan of my face in this area. Again, this was to communicate to me the process and production to presenting an idea in this format, to include development and ideas that lead up to the outcome.


After, I unfolded the A4 section, creating an A3 surface to work on. Here I was given lots of emoji's to cut out of paper and stick and place onto the A3 surface. I was provided a selection of different emoji's and when placed beside each other they created different shades. I had to try and build my face, as seen in the photograph, with these emojis and above is the result. I used the darker 'poo' emoji's to illustrate the darker areas of my face and I used the lighter 'thinking face' emoji's to reveal the brightyer areas of my face, with the 'laughing face' emoji's to illustrate the thinner darker areas on my face, as half of the emoji was light and the dark smile created a contrast to the other half.


Finally, I was provided with A4 prints that had different weights of dots that filled each page and created different contrasts when placed beside one another. I cut the prints according to the weight of dots into shapes that created elements within my face, each cons tasting to the print of dots beside it.

All in all, I have learnt a new method to present a small project. Each section folds to reveal development and ideas towards a final design. I could potentially create a CV or try to present one of my projects in this fashion. Using each compartment of the publication to my advantage to present research, exploration, ideas, development and outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment