Friday 9 December 2016

Key Words and Literature / Polina Zioga

Today we investigated how to apply keywords and literature review within our essay. First of all Polina outlined keyword strategies to help with research and to correctly define our essay topic. She explained, to help pick key words we need to pull out the words that indicate the main concepts of our topic and to brainstorm alternative keywords that a relatable author might have used. Also, to consider database keywords that relate to my topic that can be used to find books in the library database, this will help for research purposes.


After, we looked at the structure of a literature review. To start with, I must outline our topic. Then I need to provide definitions and basic historical framework to create a platform for my next step, presenting main ideas, writings and practices. Leading to the last stage, presenting my research question, what is it I want to focus on and find out.

What the literature review does. The literature review will show my knowledge of the origins, definitions and vocabulary of my chosen topic. It will explain my knowledge and understanding of the main ideas, writings and practices on my topic, show a variety of approaches and opinions in my topic. It creates an understanding and significance of the ideas, writings and practices I express in my essay. Plus, it enables the ability to identify areas of interest, but also areas that might be neglected. All of this will show how your research question will fit in and why you want to follow the particular research.


How to find main works for literature review research. Going to the library and using my keywords to find sources of research in the library database is one way. It will help to find any form of text, work or item that has had an important effect or development in the field of my chosen topic. There are different types of literature that I can obtain from the library, books, articles, catalogues, artefacts,
websites etc. All of these can contribute effectively towards my essay. However, I need to bare in mind that I need to gather research from three of the different categories, Primary literature, secondary literature and tertiary literature. Primary literature is the origional insights or creative expression, secondary literature is the analysis and popularisation of the primary literature and tertiary literature is, dictionarys, encyclopedias or handbooks.


In response to this seminar, I have created initial keywords to define my essay topic.

Visual communication / Cyber-crime / Social media / Mind motion / effective communication

No comments:

Post a Comment