Thursday 26 January 2017

Self Publication / Nick Deakin / Process and Production / Stencil Prints

Today we produced stencil print posters as a means of self publication. This technique is a unique and cheap process to create intriguing and illustrative posters. This can be a great way to help communicate a message at times, depending on the media and message.

Our group was each given different words to communicate. The words provided could have been anything. I got the words 'sheep' and 'factory', whereas, some of my friends got, 'tank', 'Eiffel tower', 'snail' and much more random words. It was a fun task to create. Anyway, with our words we created stencil stamps. I considered the composition of how I would draw my sheep and factory before I cut it out, I didn't want to cut it out and everything fall apart when I cut out the stencil. Once I drew my stencil, I precisely and safely cut them out with a Stanley knife on a cutting mat. Below are my stencil cutouts.



Next, I used my stencils to roll paint over and create a print press on a clean page of paper. I first had a practice run to see how much paint I would need to create a design that didn't leak paint through the stencil. In addition, our group was each given a phrase of text to compose and cut out, ready to print paint through onto our designs. I was given the text, 'I'm throwing stones at you' and 'Drown me in your sweet submission'.


Finally, I composed and pressed my stencils to create finished prints. Although simple and basic. these stencil prints do create an interesting outcome. To me, my designs look like they would be printed on children's clothing. That could be an interesting idea actually, I could gather some stock images if children's t-shirts and jumpers and print these designs on, expanding of what I have done. All in all, I have gained a greater insight to what can be achieved with this kind of self publication. The designs that you create do not just end physically, you can produce endless manipulations by scanning them in to digital form. To use in animation, clothing, illustration and much more.


Above are kids t shirts that I have created using my stencil prints. In addition, on of my stencil prints had a phrase and image that connected to represent a sarcastic approach to global warming. With this in mind, I created a billboard poster to illustrate an environmental warning of the increasing carbon dioxide in our world. The phrase illustrates the notion we are drowning in the submission of the smog, but in a sarcastic manner. Communicating the message, 'well done, keep killing earth'. This is reinforced with the change from colour into dull colour within the smog, conveying decay.


No comments:

Post a Comment