Monday 10 October 2016

InSync Plus / Project research / Cybernetic Self

http://www.impawards.com/1997/posters/face_off_ver3.jpg
InSync Plus,  a leading creative force in film marketing for over 20 years, have photographed the faces of John Travolta and Nickolas Cage and have merged them together in a creative composition. Expressing an illusive and mysterious image. Most likely, the team of InSync Plus will have used Photoshop to create the combined transparent faces and illustrator to create the type for the design. The overall composition of this poster design relates to my idea and the direction i have in mind for my own poster, illustrating the dangers of social media and the anonymous profiles who try to manipulate you into their devious activities.

The black background and grey-scale faces express the nature of crime within this film. Nicolas Cage acts a terrorist and John Travolta an FBI agent and the transparent blend of the faces create the impression they are both in each others heads playing with emotions and thoughts as the chase to lock Nicolas Cage's character up proceeds throughout the film. This whole aura around the design is a fascinating concept to relate to my cybernetic self project. I will take photographs of people or ask permission to gather faces off of Facebook profile pictures, to create a illusive blend of faces. I will attempt to communicate an illusive impression of merged profile pictures to express the danger of anonymous users on social media, they might not be who they seem on their profile. I love the use of the black background and grey scale faces and will incorporate this into my designs. The use black and shades of grey instantly impact the viewer with a dark nature behind the design and this will help portray the message I an giving to social media users.

In addition, the use of type is effective in this design. It is placed at the bottom of the image and lets the image speak for itself to create a mystery. I will look to apply a similar technique as an idea for my design. I will have to investigate what colour and font to use to  connect with my audience. The white and red type on the Face Off poster stand out strong from the black background an creates a sense of threat and danger within the film. The white, to me represents the good, being John Travolta' character and the FBI and the red to represent the criminal side, being Nicolas cage's terrorist character. I will have to connect with the design in this way, maybe research the Fonts used in social media and the colours associated with social media. From what I know blue is the most common colour used in social media, however the colour blue may not express the severity of the threats on social media platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment